Thursday, November 10, 2011

If you ever plan to do a tile job (counter, floor or whatever) these are the spacers I recommend.  They are made by Tavy.  I have only seen them at Lowe's, but they are worth any extra miles you might have to go.  The first spacers I bought were the regular X (or plus sign) type of spacer.  They work ok and they are cheaper but the Tavy spacers are MUCH BETTER!  They don't fall over (or in between cracks) like the others do.

Friday, November 4, 2011

Remodel update - tiling the bathroom & laundry room

Today we are working on tiling Travis' bathroom and the adjoining laundry room.  Right now we are in the process of getting all the remaining little bits of old vinyl flooring out so they won't be in the way.  We are also getting the walls ready to refinish (remove the strips covering the drywall joints and all the trim).  Hopefully our drywall mud guy will come today!

Thursday, November 3, 2011

(Still) Working on the house

Today was a busy day. In addition to the usual - make breakfast, do the dishes, do the laundry, make lunch and make dinner - I am still working on the house remodel. Now, "What remodel?" you may say. I'm glad you asked. We have been remodeling our house since the middle of July! Future posts will contain more information, but the gist is we gutted just about everything and we are starting over!

Anyway, today I caulked the prep sink area in the kitchen. I need to get that done so I can set the backsplash tiles. I also did some general clean up as construction is messy! The best thing I think I did today was tackle the room that has all of the stuff we left here when we relocated 4 years ago (we moved back in July and rented out the other house). Most of the stuff is actually our daughter's, but she has no place for it right now. I didn't actually go through the stuff, but I put what was loose into boxes and then arranged all of the boxes in the center of the room. Now we can get to the walls to finish the drywall and paint. Also, to be able to see in the closet (also full of stuff) I needed to fix the light. It is one of those lights with a string you pull but the string was broken. I bought a new pull cord switch and replaced the broken one with it. It was pretty easy to change out.

Today we also removed a cabinet and water heater from the laundry room area. This was a 2nd water heater so we don't really need it anyway. Now the laundry room and adjoining bathroom are clear of stuff on the floor so we can get the tile floor done. We need to get it done soon because we want to get the rest of our stuff (that is still at the rented house) brought here in about 9 days! I am anxious to get my furniture here, but we have to get the floors and walls done so we have some place to put it.