Monday, February 11, 2013

Vermont Teddy Bear commercial


I’m not sure if it is just me, but I find the Vermont Teddy Bear Valentine’s Day commercial to be terrible. Every time I see that commercial, I just get more and more disgusted with their portrayal of women.  I am NOT a big feminist, but that commercial just gets to me.

Their assertion that something that lasts (Teddy Bear) is better than something that doesn’t (flowers and chocolate) is not the problem.  They say if you get them chocolate, they’ll eat it and then ask if they look fat.  Then they say “you don’t want to go there”.  You don’t want to go where?  They make it sound like every woman whines all the time or that it is a burden to listen to her.

But the part of the commercial that gets to me the most is the main point.  Valentine’s Day is supposed to be a day to make your loved one feel extra special by doing something for him/her.  (Whether this is a “holiday” made up by marketing companies is a subject for another article.)  This commercial makes it very clear that guys should buy their Teddy Bear, not simply because she will love it, but so they can get “rewarded”.  By the speaker’s tone, it is pretty obvious what “reward” he is expecting.  

No comments: